Hello there! Who loves cheese? I certainly do. For a few years I battled lactose intolerance and the only thing I really missed eating was cheese… not ice cream, milk or yogurt. Just cheese. Now that I’m back on the dairy bandwagon I eat cheese with reckless abandon (all for the sake of calcium, right??) and this recipe is one of my favorite ways to gobble it up.
I am probably too well known for serving a cheese platter with crackers and meats when hosting at my house and this recipe makes serving such a simple appetizer feel a little more special – and the prep is really simple! Just make sure you allow at least 4 hours for this cheese to marinate in the refrigerator so that the garlic, herbs and oil can mix together and infuse into the cheese.
A big thanks to my friend Ann for sharing this recipe with me!
- 8oz Monterey Jack cheese, block
- 1/2 cup olive oil, good quality
- 2 gloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- A pinch of salt
- Cube the cheese by slicing the block into long slices, then cut each slice into 3-4 long sticks of cheese. Cut these sticks into cubes of cheese.
- Place cubes of cheese in a medium bowl, then top with herbs, garlic, salt and olive oil.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with toothpicks. Great on an appetizer platter with other meats, crackers, dips and cheeses.
- If you cannot find a block of Monterey Jack cheese you can use Mozzarella instead. Also, the infused olive oil is delicious to use as a dip for slices of baguette!