Earlier this summer I was in search of an appetizer I could bring to an outdoor BBQ party when the weather was nearly 100 degrees and I knew most people would be walking around with a plate and not sitting down for a full meal… I knew it needed to be something that didn’t require a fork and knife, and better yet, no plate, and might even be considered refreshing given the heat and humidity. Where did this search and such challenging requirements land me? Chicken Salad Wraps, my friends, that’s where. These little guys go by a lot of names – some people call them “Pinwheels” while others opt for the less-traditional but very funny “Redneck Sushi” name.
One of the things I love about making these is that you can switch up the ingredients depending on your audience or what you have on hand – easy to swap out mozzarella or cheddar slices for swiss, or instead of chopped chicken breast you could use ham, turkey or roast beef. Want to add some more flavor to the mix? Add some dijon mustard to the cream cheese and mayo or even a little horseradish.
With no further ado – there’s some instructions and the recipe! Even though temps of 100 degrees are now a distant memory these are still delicious and would be perfect for an after-school snack or during a football game.
First, prepare the filling for the wrap. Lay out a tortilla with 3 slices of cheese, then spread the prepared filling evenly over the center of the tortilla, leaving the top and bottom sections without any filing.
Carefully roll up the tortilla, pushing the filling out evenly towards the end of the tortilla. Once fully rolled, let the tortilla rolls rest while on the end, letting it seal.
After about 10 minutes, use a serrated knife to cut the sandwich rolls into slices, roughly 1-2 inches wide.
Enjoy! If you have ideas or suggestions please leave a note in the comments!
- 3 large flour tortillas
- 9 slices of cheese, mozzarella or cheddar
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, diced
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- To prepare the filling, mix the cream cheese, mayo, chicken breast, black pepper and lettuce until thoroughly combined.
- Lay a tortilla out, then lay 3 slices of cheese across the center of the tortilla.
- Scoop a third of the filling and place in the center of the tortilla, spreading out, leaving the top and bottom of the tortilla without any filling.
- Starting at the bottom of the tortilla, carefully roll the tortilla towards the top, being careful to not roll too tightly so as the squeeze the filling out. Let sit for 10 minutes for the ingredients to set.
- Cut the tortilla rolls with a serrated knife into 2 inch slices.
- Set tortilla sandwich wrap slices on a plate to serve.